At AMI AtlantiCare, we offer SafeCT, a highly advanced, ultra-low-dose CT scanning technology. Using SafeCT, your provider will get the same high-quality images as they would using a traditional CT scan technology, but with the lowest possible radiation dose.
Computed tomography (CT), sometimes called CAT scan, is a non-invasive, painless medical test that helps physicians diagnose and treat medical conditions. CT imaging uses special x-ray equipment to produce multiple images or pictures of the inside of the body and a computer to join them together in cross-sectional views of the area being studied. CT scans of internal organs, bone, soft tissue and blood vessels provide greater clarity than conventional x-ray exams. Using specialized equipment and expertise to create and interpret CT scans of the body, radiologists can more easily diagnose problems such as cancer, cardiovascular disease, infectious disease, trauma and musculoskeletal disorders.
Advancements in imaging technology now allow CT scanners to obtain multiple slices in a single rotation. These scanners, called “multi-slice CT” or “multi-detector CT,” allow thinner slices to be obtained in a shorter period of time, resulting in more detail, additional view capability and shorter patient exam time. This is beneficial for all patients but especially children, the elderly and critically ill. At AMI AtlantiCare, we provide the latest in CT technology and offer a full array of CT exams.
Preparation for CT Examinations:
- CT Sinus – No prep.
- CT Angiography – Follow 1 & 2 below.
- CT Urography – Follow 1 & 2 below.
- Kidney Stones – No prep.
- Head Without Contrast – No prep.
- Head With Contrast – Follow 1 & 2 below.
- Spines (Cervical, Thoracic, Lumbar) – No prep.
- Abdomen and Pelvis – Follow 1 & 3 below.
- Chest, Abdomen & Pelvis – Follow 1 & 3 below.
- Chest Only – Follow 1 & 2 below.
- Neck – Follow 1 & 2 below.
- Extremities – No prep
No solid food four hours before exam.
Drink 16 ounces of water one hour prior to exam. Patient may void.
Instructions for taking Readi-CAT 2 (450ml):
- Drink 1 full bottle, 3 hours before your appointment.
- Drink 2nd full bottle, 1 hour before your appointment.
- CT Weight Limit: 400 lbs.